Friday, September 30, 2011

Women Build Words to YOU


August 31, 2011
Dear You
     As the summer winds down, so does my time building ‘the house’. It has been a most rewarding experience and one I would repeat again if given the opportunity. Most of the women I worked with, signed up wondering if they had what it takes to build a house. In fact, one lady I worked with scoped out the hardware stores on her way to the site in case she broke something and had to quickly dash out on her lunch hour to replace it! I met so many wonderful people, developed some new skills  and learned a lot about Habitat for Humanity                 
     During my time ‘on site’, I saw many postitive qualities emerge from the people I worked with. Humour was a big one and got us through many frustrating situations. I saw great patience from the site supervisor who each day saw a brand new crew of women and had to break down each task into manageable chunks and then explain it all over again in a different way when she saw that we really didn’t know what she was talking about. It reminded me of getting a brand new Grade 1 class each and every day. Yikes!!  I saw perseverence from women who were bound and determined to ‘get it done’ no matter what. I saw courage from women who conquered their fear of heights (well, maybe not conquered) and climbed ladders they probably didn’t want to climb but did because they were so focussed on the task at hand. But mostly, I saw love. The community came together to support Kiran and her two daughters and give them a house to make into a home. Each day lunch was provided by businesses in our community and they were fantastic!  It wasn’t all work either. We had massages, yoga and tai chi lessons from people who volunteered their time for us, the workers.                                   
                           
Your support helped make all this possible. Your gift helped  buy (just for an example):
$25.00 = a bundle of roof shingles
$50.00 = 50lb box of nails (and we use a LOT!)
$100.00 = 2 interior doors
So, I want to THANK  YOU once again for supporting me in this project. I never in a million years thought I would need to know how to build and ‘un-build’ scaffolding or a bulkhead. Right now, the drywall is being installed and it is beginning to look more and more like a house. I asked Sharon our supervisor the other day if Kiran was getting excited and she said she didn’t think her smile could get any bigger. So on behalf of Kiran, her daughters and myself, I want to say thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Day 55 (Goal to be finished by end of October) 


No comments:

Post a Comment