Sunday, August 28, 2011

Women Builders Blogging!

Hey there,

Just a little update on the house. I volunteered for the build on Saturday and had a blast again as usual! I hadn't been on site in a while and the house looked amazing! It's really starting to feel like home and it's nice when you can see that all the odd jobs you're doing are really making an impact.

It's amazing how much goes into a building a house and working on the build for a day really makes you understand where the expression "blood, sweat and tears" comes from, however all the build volunteers are amazing and we usually know a lot about each other at the end of the day.

When I began the build, I was really nervous because I'm not handy at all. I'm quite the whirlwind of activity and my attempts at home improvement consist of hanging pictures by eyeball! When I told my friends and family I was going to volunteer this year, they were very surprised and many were worried for my safety, however I am living proof that anyone can join the build and have a blast! My first day on the build I was using a sledgehammer and a table saw and having a blast. In fact, I liked the table saw so much I did all the cuts all day! The nice thing about Habitat is that there is a mix of experience and a lot of patience. You learn some awesome (and handy) skills while volunteering. So, if you're a klutz like me, don't be afraid to come out and do some good for someone else.

Speaking of which, I had the chance to speak to the homeowner on Saturday and she told me her girls were so excited to have their own rooms. That was the only thanks I needed!

No comments:

Post a Comment